Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A plea to the upcoming MMO Wildstar

Dear WildStar,
I'm not going to tiptoe around here. Please be completely awesome. Not just good, not just great, not even better than WoW. I need you to be completely awesome.
You are vey pretty in a kooky kind of way. 
I cut my teeth on World of Warcraft days after it was released and have been playing, on and off, ever since, but I'm falling out of love. If it were a marriage we'd only be staying together for the kids (vanity pets).
Here's the deal, I'll never be on the highest levels of WoW. I can't spend the time to raid and, frankly, if there was a time I wanted to spend weeks grinding in order to see the coolest content the game had to offer, it evaporated around the time I turned 30- and that was several years ago.
I've been hopeful for other MMO to bring back the magic I felt in the early years of WoW. I went through Lord of the Rings Online, but found it redundant and derivative. I had huge hopes for Star Wars the Old Republic and The Secret World- and they were fun experiences but, you know.... The Secret World didn't feel like a complete game and SWTOR, well, SWTOR is still pretty fun but after going through the story lines there isn't much left to do.
So, WildStar, to say I'm a one MMO man would be lying, and I don't want to lie to you, but if you are completely awesome I will stay with you for years.
All signs so far look good. I've been following you for quite a while and everything I see I like. Extreme customization, a unique talent system, a fun art style and a seemingly huge variety of gameplay options and re-playability all point to a good thing.
Also, My wife and brother are both excited about your upcoming release as well so I'll have people to play with. When I watch your trailers and you Devspeak videos I feel that familiar flutter of excitement. 

And yet... and yet.
I've been burned before. I'd like to go full Yatzee and say I'm not excited by any video games any more but that never works out. So, yeah, I'm very excited. I didn't get a beta invite but my wife did so I'll be looking over her shoulder all weekend, hoping to get a glimpse at some grandeur.
So please, WildStar, be totally awesome. I don't want to be crass here but if you are totally awesome I will pay you up to $15 a month to play you... Ok, this personification of the game is starting to turn weird.
Just be completely awesome, Ok?  

No comments:

Post a Comment